I’ve discovered a new egg dish – well new to me anyway.
As you have probably guessed it’s called ‘Egg in a Basket’ and is right up there in the comfort-food zone next to deep fried Mars Bars.
I found out about this recipe after watching the film ‘V for Vendetta’.
- 1 Slice of Bread
- 1 Egg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- One narrow necked drinking glass
- Large Frying Pan
- Frying Spatula thing
- A ramekin or similar to crack the egg into
- Plate / knife / fork etc
- Preheat the frying pan on a high heat and add a large knob of butter and swish
- Butter the bread on both sides.
- Season the bread to taste with the salt and pepper
- Using the glass cut out the centre of the bread – do not discard the centre bit
- When the pan is hot add the bread + centre bit till golden
- Break the egg into the ramekin (now wash your hands)
- Flip the bread over
- Reduce the heat to medium/low
- Add a knob of butter to the centre hole of the bread and swish so that butter is evenly distributed
- Add the egg to the hole in the bread – allow to cook for a several minutes until the bottom of the egg is solid – at this point we are not expecting all of the egg to cook as …
- Using your skill and judgement, flip the bread + egg over and cook for a minute or so sealing the top.
- Serve and enjoy.
Here are some photo’s,