In the aim of recycling, saving money, and reusing what we have – we spent a good part of this sunny weekend fixing the shed.
The south-facing side was in tatters – the GripFill I’d used to patch it up had deteriorated and dropped out, a panel I’d stolen from an old gate to fill a broken window was falling out, and many parts of the frame were rotten.
So a couple of internet clicks later and Wickes had delivered some replacement Shiplap Cladding. I’d have gone to pick it up – but sadly 2.4 meter planks don’t fit in my car – hopefully will resolve that when if we buy a Monster MPV should we have another child.
After removing the duff cladding, I found that a lot of the frame was rotten too. So luckily I had some wood handy from previous projects – and set about either replacing, or strengthening the existing frame.
So 5 hours later, we got to this – and I am quite pleased.
A few mintes later it was all painted – and today (Sunday) we added the second coat, and started to replace the felt-roof batons. Got another baton to replace next weekend, another coat of paint due on the west-side and we are done.
Final jobs are
- Try and hose out the mud underneath the shed which is causing the floor and joists to rot – I have my pressure washer in mind for this
- Repair the floor which is going rotten
A new shed would have been £350, and probably my £60 repair will last a few years more.
I feel good – which is the main thing.