Over the past few days or so we noticed that the chickens had started to pluck and pull out some of their feathers. On a routine check of their Chicken Coop I noticed the unmistakable presence of Red Mites. These are teeny-tiny little bugs that are, well, red. These little tiny creatures feed on the chickens blood, feathers, skin and scales. The poor chicken’s health then deteriorates, leading to low egg production, weight loss and even death. This infestation, however small, had to be stopped.
I took apart the eglu cube (brill for doing exactly this) and put the hose on ‘power’ and washed the critters away!
I then used Dettol and sprayed whole lot which I then left to dry. Later, I dusted the nesting box and bars with diatomaceous earth. The chickens had by the way, finished laying for the day so kept them locked out until bed-time so they wouldn’t re-infect the coop.
At bedtime Steve caught each chicken and dunked them in a bucket full of warm water and Dettol to help kill those pesky mites. The chicken’s feathers are not waterproof so the poor things looked rather bedraggled – but hopefully they were mite free.
A week on, some of the chickens’ feathers appear to be growing back and the coop appears to be free of red mite (that I can see). Fingers crossed we’ve stopped it this time.