One of the great things about living in Havant Borough is the easy access to the beach; Hayling Island’s seafront is around 20 minutes away by car.
One Saturday this August we decided to spend the day, that is lunch and dinner, on the beach, and to try and do so for not very much money. As the Housework Fairy was on strike (apparently the Housework Fairy wants a holiday too) our first stop was the local Tesco to pick up some sandwiches. If it had been a weekday, instead we’d have popped into our favourite sandwich shop, Starvin’ Marvins, to pick up our nosh.
Across to Hayling we drive, and then pick up an all-day parking for the sum of £6. We tried to pay for the parking via the Cashless Mobile Phone parking payment service “RingGo” but couldn’t understand that we wanted to buy the 6 hour ticket. So coins it was.
Success, an all-day car parking ticket.
At the time of our arrival there were still plenty of spaces in the car park with nearby toilets as well as a standpipe for water. This car park doesn’t get that busy as it away from the Fair at Beachlands. The only downside is a lack of sand, but lack of sand is nothing that Crocs/Flip Flops can’t handle. Oh, the other plus of this location – fewer wasps!
First on the agenda is lunch for five rumbling tums, nom nom nom.
Next, lets get in the sea to cool off and a quick swim.
Yes it was one of those rare non-raining day in August, though the following Sunday and the Monday made up with it with rain and lightning forecast. Got to love the British weather.
The kids love the sea, though it is a shame that there is no sand at this part of the beach with this tide.
After a bit of a rest …
It was time for a BBQ dinner … sausages, lamb chops, burgers, chicken wings; something for all the family.
The BBQ was a accompanied with a splash of our homemade wine. The July 2015 vintage is a rather cheeky number and brings together tangerine flavours with soft bubblegum bouquet finish.
Total cost of the day out was about £25. This covered parking, lunch, dinner and fuel – for which we had 8 hours on the beach, with plenty of sea, fun and sun for our family of five.
Some tips that we wanted to share:
- Visit the Havant Borough Council Tourist Information Office located at Beachlands, it is open all year round. Not only can you get some Tourist tips, you can also buy a special key that allows access to the Public Toilets outside of standard hours.
- Crocs /Flip Flops / Jelly Shoes are a must for your feet on the pebbles, depending on the tide and the where you are situated on the beach.
- On a warm day travel to Hayling early to avoid the traffic. Make sure you go for a wee before departing for home as the return journey can take up to an hour unless you leave after 8pm!
- There are water standpipes along the beach front, we use these to collect water to extinguish the BBQ coals ready to reuse them for a future BBQ. Why is the temperature just right after you’ve finished cooking?
- Blah blah plenty of suncream blah blah keep hydrated blah blah don’t drink alcohol and drive blah blah don’t let the kids drown blah blah don’t boil your dog in your car (our Legal Dept. made us write that).
We are pretty much novices when it come to Hayling Beach, please do share your favourite things to do and any tips you have in the comments below – thank you!