During the half-term we’ve been taking our children out and about and revisited a few local play parks. The Elizabeth Road play park redeveloped last year with a dinosaur theme at a cost of £70,000. We went there on scooters during a sunny afternoon (with coffee) expecting to find the park in pretty much the same condition as it was when I visited last year.
Unfortunately on arriving many of the play items had been vandalised.
1. The musical columns have had their mallets ripped from the cords making this play item useless:
2. Stepping stones have been stolen:
3. The hand-grip for the zipwire has stolen making this play item useless:
4. The wooden maze/puzzle has been destroyed making this play item useless:
5. The trampoline has been destroyed making this play item useless:
6. Seat for the orbiter has been vandalised:
An investment of £70,000 into the area and the response seems to have been to see how quickly the play park can be destroyed? I am not sure that spending further public money on repairs is money well spent when the outcome will simply be further vandalism?
This isn’t a play park we’ll be returning to.